Dear fellow foodies: Good day! Once again, welcome to my paradise of Indian cuisine. The Chilli Paneer recipe is one of the culinary gems I’m sharing with you today from the vast world of Indian food. Prepare to have the ideal balance of flavour and spice to entice your taste buds. I’ll walk you through every step of making this dish, which is a popular choice among many people. Consequently, let’s get started and whip up a delicious meal of chilli paneer!
Table of Contents
Introduction to Chilli Paneer
A popular Indo-Chinese dish, chilli paneer—also spelt chilli paneer—beautifully combines the robust flavours of Indian spices with the fragrant essence of Chinese cuisine. The paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cubes in this meal are sautéed with vivid bell peppers, onions, and a zesty mixture of sauces. The outcome? is a palate-dancing symphony of flavours and textures.
Let’s pick the serving size first before we begin our culinary journey. This recipe makes about 4 servings, making it ideal for a delicious side dish at a potluck or a cosy family supper.
Prep Time, Cook Time & Total Time
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||20 minutes||40 minutes|
Calorie and Micronutrient Content
Since paneer is a good source of calcium and protein, this dish is not only delicious but also healthy. An approximate nutritional breakdown per serving is provided below:
|Calcium||25% of daily requirement|
The approximate nutritional values may change depending on the particular ingredients and portion proportions utilised. (*For comprehensive nutritional details, use outside resources like the Fatsecret )
Ingredients needed for Chilli Paneer Recipe
Be ready with these ingredients to create your delectable Chilli Paneer Recipe:
|Paneer (cottage cheese)||250g|
|Bell peppers (mixed colours)||1 cup, cubed|
|Onion||1 medium, diced|
|Green chilies||2, finely chopped|
|Ginger||1-inch piece, minced|
|Garlic||4-5 cloves, minced|
|Soy sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Tomato ketchup||2 tablespoons|
|Red chili sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Spring onions||For garnishing|
|Fresh coriander leaves||For garnishing|
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions for Chilli Paneer Recipe
- Cut the paneer into bite-sized pieces and soak them in warm water for 10 minutes to get started. The paneer is softer and has a better texture after this stage.
- Prepare the sauce mixture while the paneer is soaking. Soy sauce, tomato ketchup, red chilli sauce, and vinegar should all be combined in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and reserve.
- Make a smooth slurry by mixing the cornflour with a tablespoon of water in a another bowl. Later, the sauce will be thickened with this.
- Oil in a pan is heated to medium heat. Add the paneer cubes after the oil is hot and cook them until golden brown. The paneer cubes should be removed and placed on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Add more oil in the pan if needed. Ginger, garlic, and green chillies that have been finely chopped should be added. The aromatics should be sautéed for one minute to release their smell.
- Add the diced onions and cook them in the pan until they are transparent.
- Cubed bell peppers should be added to the pan and stir-fried for a few minutes. We want to keep the crunch of them.
- It’s time to add the prepared sauce mixture at this point. Stir it well, then let it simmer for a moment.
- Add the cornflour slurry little by little while swirling the mixture. This will aid in sauce thickening and gorgeously cover the components.
- Ensure that all of the fried paneer cubes are evenly covered in the delicious sauce before gently incorporating them.
- Toss everything together, add salt to taste, and let the flavours mingle for another minute.
- When your chilli paneer is finished cooking, remove it from the fire and top it with freshly chopped coriander and spring onions.
- Serve this tasty dish hot, and watch as everyone eagerly digs in!
Video Tutorial of Chilli Paneer Recipe
What to Serve Alongside this Chilli Paneer Recipe
Chilli Paneer pairs wonderfully with steamed rice, fried rice, Noodles or even warm buttery naan. The neutral base of rice or the comforting naan acts as the perfect canvas to showcase the vibrant flavours of the paneer dish.
Variations of Chilli Paneer Recipe
- Dry Chilli Paneer: Interested in tasting the flavours but not the saucy part? Simply cut back on the sauce and leave the paneer cubes rather dry.
- Schezwan Chillie Paneer: You spice lovers should try this! Add Schezwan sauce for an additional spicy kick and a distinctive flavour twist.
- Honey Sesame Chilli Paneer: By spreading honey and scattering sesame seeds over the finished meal, you can add a hint of sweetness and nuttiness.
The Rich History of Chilli Paneer
Similar to its cousin Manchurian dishes, Chilli Paneer Recipe is the product of the blending of Indian and Chinese culinary traditions. This meal, which has its roots in the busy streets of India, specifically in the state of West Bengal, was created using Chinese cooking methods and Indian spices and ingredients. It’s evidence of the exquisite blending of civilizations that Indian food is praised for.
(*For more historical insights, you can explore Wikipedia link of Indian Chinese cuisine )
Fun Facts about the Dish
- The dish’s name, which frequently alternates between the spellings “Chillie” and “Chilli,” illustrates the variety of ways it is consumed across India.
- Popular in Indo-Chinese street food booths, chilli paneer is renowned for its intense flavour.
Can tofu be used instead of paneer?
Absolutely! In this chilli paneer recipe, tofu can be used as a vegan substitute for paneer.
Is Chilli Paneer Recipe spicy?
The Spiciness of the chilli paneer recipe can be controlled by varying the amount of sauce and chilli used.
Can i prepare in advance for a party?
The dish is best enjoyed fresh. But if required the ingredients etc can be prepared before hand and the final cooking can be done just prior to the party since the cooking time is just 20 minutes.
You now have your very own handmade Chilli Paneer recipe, dear readers, which is guaranteed to gain praise for its flavour. This meal is a remarkable culinary masterpiece thanks to its smoky tastes and rich ancestry. So gather your ingredients, put on your cooking shoes, and start this delicious culinary journey that flawlessly mixes the best of Chinese and Indian food. Have fun cooking!
(Note: The approximate calorie and nutrient values can change depending on factors like ingredient brands and serving sizes.)